Social media can be defined as “Websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking”Oxford Dictionaries
During the past decade or so, social media has completely transformed internet along with the world of marketing as we see it today. Here are a few reasons why a modern business should start utilizing these new forms of communication as soon as possible:
- Social media platforms are large scale having a massive audience, it helps you showcase your brand on an unprecedented scale and helps create brand awareness among your target audience so why not use it especially when it’s free?
- People enjoy being part of a success story, having an online presence can help you establish a connection between your company and customers that can be vital in its growth.
- Customer service plays an essential part in the success of any company, social media is a great source of feedback that enables your customers to communicate directly to your company and with each other, that helps increase your brand trustworthiness. By engaging directly with your customers, you can also improve your customer service.
- Having an online presence on social media leads to massive brand exposure due to its worldwide access, sharing capabilities and a huge number of daily users.
- Social networks are a great source of information, they help you identify your customer needs and enable you to respond effectively. This will not only help you increase your sales but also increase your customer base.
- Social media marketing is affordable for any business and is cheaper than traditional modes of advertising (print & electronic).
What social media platform you need to be on?
Gillooly. P (2019) argues that “There’s no right answer and that answer might change over time.”
Choosing the right media depends on your budget, kind of audience you want to engage with and by having clear goals in mind.
Below info-graphic explains the difference between various social media platforms, their key traits and what type of businesses can benefit from using them.
Mark W. Schaefer (2014) in his book states that “To be successful in this most human of channels, with this historic opportunity to create consistent, small provocations that lead to engagement and loyalty, we must adopt a new mindset. The Social Media Mindset”.Schaefer, Mark W. (2014). Social Media Explained. Lightning Source Incorporated.
As of January 2019, 4.4 billion people have access to the internet out of which 3.5 billion people are active social media users and this number is destined to increase (Source – www.statistica.com).
Social networks have added a new dimension to how people communicate, business leaders and marketing professionals should realize the benefits of using social networks to market their products & services. Social media has become an integral part of our everyday lives and has inevitably become an important part of the business world.
Chaffey, D. (2019). Global social media research summary 2019. Retrieved from https://www.smartinsights.com/social-media-marketing/social-media-strategy/new-global-social-media-research/
Gillooly, P. (2019). Which Social Media Platform is Right for Your Business in 2019?. Retrieved from https://blogs.constantcontact.com/which-social-media-platform-is-right-for-your-business/
Psychology, P. (2016). Social Media Explained – Mark Schaefer – Animated Book Review. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFxX3tXLaGU
Schaefer, Mark W. (2014). Social Media Explained. Lightning Source Incorporated.